Sunday, April 12, 2009

some bitching...some knitting...and some eating

happy easter everyone! we had a great chill easter here. we went to breakfast at the inlaws and then dinner with our friend jason. and a delicious dinner at that! we had ham, rosemary potatoes, cranberries, rolls, grape salad, and strawberry shortcake for dinner. it really was delicious! there will be photos added tommorrow. my camera is too far away from my seat :) also on the camera are the rediculously cute bunny nuggets i made for bob for his basket. i just about died when i saw how cute they were!

the picture i have is from my photobooth. now i realize they're not very good photos--due to the bad light in the living room and my laziness to get my camera. but lets look at these images:first: note the tired look in my eyes. that is due to trying to figure out how to do short rows. i was up until 12:15 last night trying to do it. now i don't know if i'm short row retarded...or if i just need someone to show me how to do it correctly. but i have done my cast on for tow up socks (using patons sox yarn--i think) but the heal and the toe just don't look neat and tidy like it should be. maybe i'm expecting too much for myself. but i've knit one sock just about two times. it appears i can't measure my foot correctly, but i've past the heal for the second time and now i'm on to some nice boring 2x2 ribbing. this should do me good.

next: this yarn i'm not loving. its scratchy and my needles keep splitting it up.

next: i started these on my latern moon needles. now i LOVE these needles almost more than i love my bed. however i couldn't get it to not have that ladder between the needles. AND the yarn kept getting caught when i was moving it up the needle. so i switched to double pointed and my speed increased drastically. i don't know if this is the fault of the needle or the yarn. next pair i'm going to use my addi turbos and hope that works better. my fingers are all crampy from knitting too much the past two days. but i feel good about the socks.

finally: i am bitching and moaning about knitting socks. i still feel like socks are something i should LOVE to knit. but everytime i just think, god, am i not done yet? but i'm doing it so that i can learn it and know it. i really am a librarian at heart and want to know how to do things incase someone asks me. it's like if i cook something bad. most people would say, "hey that was awful! i won't ever make that again!" i however think, "hey that was awful! i wonder what i did wrong. i'll make a list and make adjustments until it tastes delicious." i need to do it so that it is perfect. these socks are the same way. maybe i should suck it up and buy some nice sock yarn and make really nice socks instead of cheap yarn so i can practice. and to be honest, the socks look good off, but then i put them on and...i just don't love them. my feet look big and puffy and the socks look all stretched and...homemade and not nice and dainty like most homemade socks do. so i don't know. i'll let you know tomorrow how they go. since i don't have work i'll take advantage of the day--with a run and some knitting. my house is clean and so it's a fun day!

No comments: